"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." -Isaac Newton
As a science educator I teach students about Newton's Laws of motion every single year. It ends up being one of the most enjoyable units. Newton's quote about standing on the shoulders of giants sums up what a big portion of Chew the Fat is all about. Every person has the potential to be a "GIANT" for someone else. He are five reasons Sir Isaac Newton is one Brilliant Dude.
1. Not only was he a physicist, he was a mathematician, astronomer, philosopher, alchemist, and theologian. In my humble opinion he is one of the most influential thinkers in history.
2. He built the first reflecting telescope and figured out how the perception of color might work and how they fit into the visible spectrum.
3. Newton is recognized as the father of Calculus.
4. He was also a religious man. This fascinates me. I've always felt that religion and science do not need to be at odds. Newton was wise enough to connect two disciplines that most people cannot.
5. His three laws of motion are at the heart of physics and engineering to this day.
Who are your giants?
What will your greatest achievement be?
Did he really get hit in the head with an apple?
Never at Rest: A Biography of Isaac Newton
The Principia: Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy
You have my Fattitude of Gratitude for visiting Chew The Fat. I hope you enjoy this imperfect journey towards Warrior Poetry. We are a weird bunch. I like it that way. I dare you to introduce yourself. I double dog dare you to subscribe (upper left hand corner).